SN is the worst method

• Thread starter IwishIwasAttractive
  • Start date
  • Welcome to Sanctioned Suicide, a pro-choice forum for the discussion of mental illness, suicide, and the moral implications of the act itself. This is not a pro-suicide site. We do not encourage or aid suicide, and the information offered is for educational purposes only. Read our rules and FAQ for more information. We also offer a recovery subforum if you wish to get support.

You can close this box by clicking the top right "X".

P

Parsifal64

May 16, 2020
I wouldn´t say SN is the worst method but I don´t like it as one of the only ones on this forum, there is simply too little evidence about it, all the knowledge about it is broscience from this forum meanwhile the people who will use SN dislike opiate overdose despite there being tons of information about how you just fall asleep and it´s basically fool proof if you say inject 1g of heroin with no tolerance.

And you can get a gun in EU you can get a gun in almost every country at least bolt action rifles and shotguns if you have a hunters license since hunting guns are legal in almost all countries even in England. Of course if you have been diagnosed with depression or suicidal thoughts you are not allowed to be around firearms.

EDIT: I am not saying SN won´t work, I am sure it will kill you but so will other chemicals like anti-freeze but that doesn´t mean it won´t be uncomfortable or painfull.
Antifreeze takes between 24-72 hrs. Might as well take 200 Tylenol.

mpnf

mpnf

Suffering in any form is the worst.
Oct 3, 2019
It could be but with no access to N , there's nothing else one can do.

TimeToBiteTheDust

TimeToBiteTheDust

If you can't fix what's broken you'll go insane.
Nov 7, 2019
You must be sure you want to die if you choose SN. I can't imagine the desperation if you regret drinking it. Horrible situation. Be sure you want to die.
What the hell is SN
Sodium Nitrite

Last edited:
Reactions: Jumper Geo
X

X-Kid

Sep 21, 2019
As someone who probably would have succeeded from SN (if I didn’t fall out of bed and was found) I have plenty left to try again. The experience wasn’t super fun, but neither is living so you have to decide.. As a poster above mentioned about antifreeze, it’s probably not going to kill you unless you stay away from the hospital. I’ve drank it several times (About 300mL) and you will be throwing up, feeling intoxicated, and become extremely dehydrated.
The vomiting feeling doesn’t stop and I’ve never made it past 18 hours after drinking it to where I didn’t have to go to the ER. It’s such a slow miserable process.

Last edited:
Reactions: autumnal
L

Living sucks

no one can understand
Mar 27, 2020
What the hell is SN
As a new member i advise your read the rules and faq page and the resource compilation section before continuing to post questions. Theyre located in the sticky threads above these discussions. There’s also an acronym page . And your search button is at the top right corner.. it’s very useful

L

Living sucks

no one can understand
Mar 27, 2020
So, it's a drunken shootout for you? ;)

Surprised this yielded a worthy discussion, well done
Funny i knew this would draw much attention .. I’m happy to hear so many diverse opinions on the matter. I understand what OP is trying to say. Not that SN is the worst way to die, but the likelihood of being awake or conscious for the 20-30 mins knowing what you just did and what’s coming. I respect and fear this also. And that gun shot or jump could be much quicker if done right.

i just have such a hard time with the words painless and peaceful used to describe this method. If it was like N where you just go to sleep, I would accept this. I agree it is most likely not the worst possible pain ever imagined. No method is easy if you have any heart in your chest

autumnal

autumnal

Illuminated
Feb 5, 2020
H
Do you use an app or program(photoshop?) to make these cool pics? I’m just wondering.
Just Photoshop. I didn't draw the symbol, BTW. It's just lifted from the ISO symbols.

Incidentally I provided these graphics with the intention that anyone here can use them. I find inserting them into posts a lot quicker and less frustrating than endlessly typing the same responses.

Reactions: theguineapigking
theguineapigking

theguineapigking

I hate myself so much
Dec 5, 2019
Just Photoshop. I didn't draw the symbol, BTW. It's just lifted from the ISO symbols.

Incidentally I provided these graphics with the intention that anyone here can use them. I find inserting them into posts a lot quicker and less frustrating than endlessly typing the same responses.
Cool. Thanks for the info and link. It does save time, haha.

littlelady856

littlelady856

My heart hurts
Dec 20, 2018
I don't know, I mean, SN might not be entirely peaceful like N, but it is certainly easier to do than something like hanging or jumping.

S

SGDynamite

~No One Lives Forever~
May 11, 2020
The German Name of Sodium Nitrite is Natriumnitrit.

TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Angelic
Aug 27, 2018
Antifreeze takes between 24-72 hrs. Might as well take 200 Tylenol.
You missed my point, the point is both will definitely kill you but that doesn´t mean it will be peaceful but of course with your facts stated it would be better to feel uncomfortable or in pain for 20 minutes instead of 24-72 hours.
You seem like you know a lot about opiate OD. Do you know anything about tolerance, most addicts who OD do it after a relapse, their tolerance was lower or they were forced to go without opiates for a while. Btw most heroin is laced with fentanyl at least in the US and Canada. Do you know how long one should go without using before trying to OD on it? I'm a user of 10 years smoking heroin, and fentanyl/heroin for 7 of those years, methadone for 3 of those years. I have methadone and I hear that it's extremely dangerous, but I've tried to OD on methadone before, but I have way more now. You can PM if you want. I have a post on methadone where I posted the details, I am getting more every month now.
I´m sorry I don´t know how long you should be clean but that really doesn´t matter "much", the reason they OD as you stated is because their tolerance is now lower and when they relapse they might take the same dose like when they stopped and they don´t know about the purity it might be higher too so they shoot too high a dose of too pure heroin.

Last edited:
MeriDeath

MeriDeath

May 10, 2020
Honestly I've been trying to find out about SN. I believe if you don't have access to N this is the best method ,if it's true you only get a mild headache and some stomach cramps but that's it, and then within 10 minutes you fall unconscious. If that's really how it goes. Lately I've been wondering about the suffocation/hypoxia part. I don't wanna be gasping for air while still conscious nor do I wanna panic and call the ambulance. I don't know, this seems the only thing on my mind lately. If I knew for sure I probably wouldn't mind doing it asap. I know hypoxia is painless but I don't know exactly the process of hypoxia in your body after having taken the SN. I guess if the hypoxia part is to happen after you've lost conscious than I'm totally fine with that.

Last edited:
autumnal

autumnal

Illuminated
Feb 5, 2020
That's hilarious :haha: So efficient... Can I steal / use it in the future? This is long time coming. The official "READ MORE" sticker.
Sure, they are all here for anyone to use. The technical term is 'RTFM', but despite often being warranted, I figured that would come across as too judgemental.

Honestly I've been trying to find out about SN. I believe if you don't have access to N this is the best method ,if it's true you only get a mild headache and some stomach cramps but that's it, and then within 10 minutes you fall unconscious. If that's really how it goes. Lately I've been wondering about the suffocation/hypoxia part. I don't wanna be gasping for air while still conscious nor do I wanna panic and call the ambulance. I don't know, this seems the only thing on my mind lately. If I knew for sure I probably wouldn't mind doing it asap. I know hypoxia is painless but I don't know exactly the process of hypoxia in your body after having taken the SN. I guess if the hypoxia part is to happen after you've lost conscious than I'm totally fine with that.
It is firstly very important to understand that SN does not involve feelings of suffocation (asphyxiation). Suffocation is the sensation of not being able to breathe at all. The human body is designed to trigger intense distress and survival instinct during suffocation, triggered by rising levels of carbon dioxide in the bloodstream.

Suffocation can be imagined as similar to having someone holding a pillow over your face and preventing you from breathing. Your distress would increase as you become increasingly deprived of oxygen, and you would fight to remove the pillow. Again, to be clear, SN does not involve feelings of suffocation.

What SN involves is hypoxia, or a low level of oxygen in the blood. Unlike suffocation, the body does not have a specific mechanism to detect and trigger distress or survival instinct from reduced levels of oxygen in the blood. This is probably because, from a basic evolutionary perspective, there was never a naturally-occuring situation that would ever induce hypoxia in a human being. So you will not be 'gasping for air'. With the SN method, hypoxia is definitely experienced before you lose consciousness, indeed it is the reason for losing consciousness and ultimately later death. However, it will only be experienced through broader and less distressing symptoms such as headache, nausea, fatigue, confusion, tachycardia (increased heart rate) and shortness of breath. You may not experience all of these symptoms, and many can be avoided by adding the optional components to your SN protocol.

Note that shortness of breath (dyspnea) is not the same as suffocation (asphyxiation). Shortness of breath means you still have the ability to breathe, however there is the feeling that you are not getting enough oxygen when you do. Shortness of breath can be imagined as similar to the way your breathing may feel after intense exercise. You know that you are not quite taking in enough oxygen, so you may take deeper and more deliberate breaths to compensate, or move your chest and shoulders in an exaggerated way to take in deeper breaths (accessory breathing). You also do not feel distress or survival instinct, because you oxygen level may be insufficient but nothing is preventing you completely from breathing in the way suffocation would.

Additionally, the tachycardia (increased heart rate) that may accompany SN poisoning (preventable via adding beta blockers to the protocol) is similar to how your heart may be beating faster and more strongly after intense exercise. Again, you are aware of this happening in both scenarios, and it isn't inherently distressing nor a cause of survival instinct as long as you know in advance to expect it.

Basically, imagine again the shortness of breath and increased heart rate that occurs after intense exercise, say doing a quick sprint without any warmup. If you had somehow gone your whole life without ever having done any physical exertion, then having these symptoms for the first time ever might feel mysterious, unexplained and terrifying. But if you were a normal human who had experienced those symptoms before from exercise, you would automatically expect them to occur, have an idea of how intense they would feel and how long they would last for, and they would not cause you any distress or discomfort. In fact, you would probably feel more puzzled or distressed if you did some vigorous exercise and felt no physical symptoms immediately afterwards.

SN is similar to this analogy. Be knowledgeable about all of the symptoms that may occur, take all possible means to prevent them (optional components), and understand that if they do occur, they are not a need for panic or concern. Rather, they are simply neccesary steps on the journey towards your ultimate destination of a successful and relatively peaceful death.

Last edited:
autumnal

autumnal

Illuminated
Feb 5, 2020
Idk anxiety can make you irrational so 20 minutes waiting for death can be worse than torture for some.
[...]
True, but if you feel highly anxious about your pending death, whether at normal levels or clinical levels of anxiety, then perhaps you aren't ready to be committing suicide? That's not to say that everyone might not feel some apprehension beforehand, but generally if your life is truly unbearable and you are fully decided on suicide as the preferred option (with all doubts addressed in your mind), in my opinion the waiting period after taking SN would feel like a relief more than anything negative.

I still stand by my previous assertion that the intolerability of this waiting period reflects less on the SN method itself and more on the overall ambivalence of the OP.

Last edited:
Quarky00

Quarky00

Illuminated
Dec 17, 2019
the likelihood of being awake or conscious for the 20-30 mins knowing what you just did
Likelihood of failing with gun or jumping is higher -- so is the emotional terror & devastating disability. So other than a knee-jerk instinct, I don't get it.

20 minutes waiting for death can be worse than torture for some
I consider ctb as euthanasia rather than suicide. One would also wait a few minutes in Dignitas.

Lying down comfortably (benzo) and waiting 12 minutes while listening to music is not that terrifying when a person is ready. People have reached the edges of cliffs (literally!) and just couldn't. I understand others in distress feeling otherwise and wanting something quick and immediate, including partial, it mostly doesn't work though..

Last edited:
R

rebelsue

Hope Addict
Dec 12, 2019
I think the reason people gravitate toward sn is because you don't have to get involved with the communities that sell weapons and illegal drugs if you've always been a rule follower your entire life.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodPersonEffed
P

PDAnnie2610

Waiting for my bus.
Oct 27, 2019
I wouldn´t say SN is the worst method but I don´t like it as one of the only ones on this forum, there is simply too little evidence about it, all the knowledge about it is broscience from this forum meanwhile the people who will use SN dislike opiate overdose despite there being tons of information about how you just fall asleep and it´s basically fool proof if you say inject 1g of heroin with no tolerance.

And you can get a gun in EU you can get a gun in almost every country at least bolt action rifles and shotguns if you have a hunters license since hunting guns are legal in almost all countries even in England. Of course if you have been diagnosed with depression or suicidal thoughts you are not allowed to be around firearms.

EDIT: I am not saying SN won´t work, I am sure it will kill you but so will other chemicals like anti-freeze but that doesn´t mean it won´t be uncomfortable or painfull.
Guns are not permitted in most of Asia. Possession of firearms, save for the police or the military in my country carries life imprisonment on conviction

TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Angelic
Aug 27, 2018
Guns are not permitted in most of Asia. Possession of firearms, save for the police or the military in my country carries life imprisonment on conviction
That is why I said most of the world but I know even in Thailand you can go to a shooting range I even have pictures of a guy who killed himself using one of their handguns. But in all of EU you can at least get hunting guns.

F

Final Escape

Existing somewhere between life and death
Jul 8, 2018
knowing that ur going to die in 20min is the worst. and u can't be drunk in that wait time. gun still quick and painless. but i can't get in eu :angry:
Is that u in the pic? Sorry but when I saw the hot guy in the pic and your screen name I was like I hope he doesn’t think he’s unattractive if that’s him lol! Yea I’m not looking forward to the SN method but that’s what I’m planning as well. It’s gonna suck. I have one Xanax bar I’ll take a little while before I drink it to calm my nerves.