Self harm - when are stitches necessary?

• Welcome to Sanctioned Suicide, a pro-choice forum for the discussion of mental illness, suicide, and the moral implications of the act itself. We do not encourage nor aid suicide, and the information offered here is for educational purposes only. For more information visit our FAQ.
    If you are in need of immediate help, consider calling the Samaritan's hotline: (877) 870-4673. Be aware they may call emergency services if they believe you are at imminent risk of death.
    You can close this box by clicking the top right "X".
Sanguinius

Sanguinius

Chicken of ss
Aug 9, 2018
Utopia
Hi,
I have a question:
I'm a excessive selfharmer. My cuts are often gaping 1-1,5 cm (~0,5 inches). So far, I've always gone and got stitches, as they told me at the ward. But is this absolutely necessary? If not, do you know when it is?

gingerplum

gingerplum

Visionary
Nov 5, 2018
No, it's not absolutely necessary. Stitches will probably give you a better cosmetic result, because the wound edges will be more well-approximated and "cleaner" looking. Stitches are also preferable on an area that flexes a lot, like near a joint.

Otherwise you can just use steri-strips or butterfly bandages; they serve essentially the same purpose as stitches, and either option will allow the wound bed to granulate and heal from the inside out.

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/accidents-first-aid-and-treatments/how-do-i-apply-butterfly-stitches/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marian Sanctioned Suicide 8
lilyeehaw Sanctioned Suicide 7
Help_Meh Sanctioned Suicide 10