[News] SanctionedSuicide Survey Results (November 2019)

• Welcome to Sanctioned Suicide, a pro-choice forum for the discussion of mental illness, suicide, and the moral implications of the act itself. We do not encourage or aid suicide, the information offered is for educational purposes only. For more information read our FAQ.
    For immediate help, consider calling the Samaritan's hotline: (877) 870-4673. Be aware they may call emergency services if they believe you are at imminent risk of death. We also have a recovery subforum if you wish to get support.
    You can close this box by clicking the top right "X".
M

Miserable

Jul 14, 2019
Most of the people here are white caucasian, and so it’s funny when they push that white privilege lie. Oh ok that’s why most of us here are on the verge of suicide lol!
actually, there are examples of suicidality correlating with privilege. For example, rich people are more likely to kill themselves

Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
surprised inceldom want included in the survey in someways
It was, though, wasn't it? Obliquely but still: the questions about whether we've had relationships or kissed anyone, along with the questions about height/weight, made me wonder if the researchers would find any correlations.

Reactions: MeltingHeart
Final Escape

Final Escape

Hoping to get better one day
Jul 8, 2018
actually, there are examples of suicidality correlating with privilege. For example, rich people are more likely to kill themselves
I would think poor people kill themselves far more often because if you basically can’t take care of yourself the economic distress is much more likely to push people over the edge. I was never as suicidal as I am now that I’m poor as opposed to when I felt more able to save and have more freedom.

M

Miserable

Jul 14, 2019
I would think poor people kill themselves far more often because if you basically can’t take care of yourself the economic distress is much more likely to push people over the edge. I was never as suicidal as I am now that I’m poor as opposed to when I felt more able to save and have more freedom.
I feel the same but the statistics don't show that
Black people don't kill themselves either, its much more rare

MeltingHeart

MeltingHeart

Illuminated
Sep 10, 2019
It was, though, wasn't it? Obliquely but still: the questions about whether we've had relationships or kissed anyone, along with the questions about height/weight, made me wonder if the researchers would find any correlations.
i didnt see it.

Enigma

Enigma

Jul 20, 2019
Regarding the Q: "Does the Sanctioned Suicide forum impact your life in a positive way?" The response can depend on ones interpretation. My answer was "No", but this is not because I have anything negative to say about this site, in fact quite the opposite. The reason I answered "no" is because of circumstances that has led me here. I doubt anyone of us has joined because we are feeling positive. Every time I come here, I am reminded of the reasons that led me to this place. This is a suicide forum after all, so the word "positive" just seems an odd choice of words. But overall I think the survey was well put together.

Thank you Serge.

Reactions: MeltingHeart
epic

epic

Master
Aug 9, 2019
Regarding the Q: "Does the Sanctioned Suicide forum impact your life in a positive way?" The response can depend on ones interpretation. My answer was "No", but this is not because I have anything negative to say about this site, in fact quite the opposite. The reason I answered "no" is because of circumstances that has led me here. I doubt anyone of us has joined because we are feeling positive. Every time I come here, I am reminded of the reasons that led me to this place. This is a suicide forum after all, so the word "positive" just seems an odd choice of words. But overall I think the survey was well put together.

Thank you Serge.
I guess it meant to say, did it reduce your negativity.

MeltingHeart

MeltingHeart

Illuminated
Sep 10, 2019
Oh yeah your right, so it was- my bad!

lavenderlungs

lavenderlungs

Nov 16, 2019
oceania
neat! thanks for the time & effort spent creating and analysing the data. i’d be interested to know statistics relating to age next round. it’d also be intriguing to see how many ppl successfully ctb’d, but i guess it’s almost impossible to get that kinda data accurately from here. good job, team!

F

Forest Fire

Jul 19, 2019
Interesting to read, thank you for taking the time to do it.
I was surprised to see such a low level of addiction.
Proper saddening to see it all displayed in pie charts for some reason!

Ghosted

Ghosted

I was never really here.
dont religious folk deem it a sin - and think they wont get into 'heaven'?
Hi!

I consider myself religious, Episcopalian, and do not view suicide as a sin. We all have our own unique reasons for wanting to end our lives. I cannot imagine a God/dess that would turn anyone away. Pain is pain.

Besides, the Gospel clearly documents Jesus committing suicide by Roman Empire.

Reactions: SawItOnce and Soul
S

SawItOnce

Veteran
Nov 13, 2019
I guess it meant to say, did it reduce your negativity.
My interpretation is "did it help you heal in some ways?", "did its content inspire you to take actions toward life?"
Regarding the Q: "Does the Sanctioned Suicide forum impact your life in a positive way?" The response can depend on ones interpretation. My answer was "No", but this is not because I have anything negative to say about this site, in fact quite the opposite. The reason I answered "no" is because of circumstances that has led me here. I doubt anyone of us has joined because we are feeling positive. Every time I come here, I am reminded of the reasons that led me to this place. This is a suicide forum after all, so the word "positive" just seems an odd choice of words.

Reactions: epic
epic

epic

Master
Aug 9, 2019
My interpretation is "did it help you heal in some ways?", "did its content inspire you to take actions toward life?"
Thats fair. If I may ask a follow on question. Does this site make you feel worse about yourself or leaves you neutral?

Reactions: Soul
Titania

Titania

Destined to Die
Dec 31, 2018
Neverland
I'm a little bit surprised that it isn't higher. How could you be religious and depressed over suicide? You'd be getting a much better deal afterwards so the choice would be obvious. I found it very amusing in a twisted way when I read that there was a spike in suicide's before the catholic church deemed it a sin. You can't work if you're dead!
You would be surprised how imperfect us Christians are. Yes, it is seen as a sin because it is against God's will, but it doesn't mean people like us don't have our own struggles.

Reactions: Maravillosa
purplemoon

purplemoon

I Have the Light Inside, Surrounded by Darkness
I’m a Christian and I had an NDE from overdose years ago: It doesn’t matter how someone dies, it only matters how someone lived that determines their eternity.

Suicide is not a sin, but you can be sent back into your body over and over again to ‘finish your purpose’, unfortunately.

What matters is who you are and what you did in life; if you were decent and did not harm innocents or be cruel in the face of kindness, if you developed / maintained your goodness regardless of circumstances.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maravillosa
S

SawItOnce

Veteran
Nov 13, 2019
Thats fair. If I may ask a follow on question. Does this site make you feel worse about yourself or leaves you neutral?
Yes, that would've been right to ask as well. Not asking both looks a little bit biased.

Reactions: Soul
exhausted

exhausted

Oct 22, 2019
London
Very interesting. I would be interested to see how long people have been feeling this way as well. Less than a year, more than a year, all the way up to 10 years + and more.

Reactions: Skathon
V

ValideSultana

Dec 2, 2019
A few of them apply to me, top to bottom, each line 1-10:
1,2 4, 5, 7, 10.

Science Is Scary

Science Is Scary

Evidence is the path to the truth. Maybe.
Oct 17, 2019
US
scholar.google.com
I'm copying the data from the graphs into text for improved accessibility and search engine optimization (SEO). My usual public domain license does not apply to this post. (It is a heavily derivative work.) Apologies for any mistakes in translation.

SanctionedSuicide November 2019 survey results of over 650 active members.

What is your sex (assigned at birth)?
  • 655 responses
  • 56.3% - Male
  • 43.7% - Female
Is your current gender different from the sex you were assigned at birth?
  • 655 responses
  • 11.1% - Yes
  • 88.9% - No
Do you work / study?
  • 657 responses
  • 29.4% - Work
  • 21.3% - Study
  • 10.5% - Both
  • 38.8% - Neither (NEET)
What region of the world are you from?
  • 657 responses
  • 41.4% - North America
  • 40.3% - Europe
  • Unlisted % - Central or [South America?]
  • Unlisted % - Asia
  • Unlisted % - Africa
  • Unlisted % - Oceania
What is your main ethnicity?
  • 656 responses
  • 72.6% - White / Caucasian
  • Unlisted % - Black
  • Unlisted % - Latino
  • Unlisted % - Asian
  • Unlisted % - Indian
  • Unlisted % - Middle Eastern
  • Unlisted % - Other / Not Sure
What's your height?
  • 636 responses
  • Unlisted % - Greater than 6 feet 4 inches
  • 11.5% - 6 feet 1 inch to 6 feet 4 inches
  • 29.9% - 5 feet 9 inches to 6 feet 0 inches
  • 33.3% - 5 feet 5 inches to 5 feet 8 inches
  • 22.0% - 5 feet 0 inches to 5 feet 4 inches
  • Unlisted % - Less than 5 feet 0 inches
What is your highest level of education?
  • 548 responses
  • 43.8% - High school
  • 37.5% - College
  • 18.7% - Graduate school
What is your main religion?
  • 632 responses
  • 77.7% - Atheist / [Agnostic?]
  • 16.9% - Christian
  • Unlisted % - Judaist
  • Unlisted % - Islamist
  • Unlisted % - Hinduist / [Buddhist?]
How would you rate your childhood experience?
  • 656 responses
  • 21.3% - Positive
  • 29.9% - Neutral
  • 48.8% - Negative
Do you suffer from a form of autism?
  • 648 responses
  • 16.4% - Yes
  • 83.6% - No
Do you suffer from depression?
  • 651 responses
  • 88.2% - Yes
  • 11.8% - No
Do you suffer from anxiety, stress or emotional distress?
  • 654 responses
  • 89.9% - Yes
  • 10.1% - No
In terms of weight, you are...?
  • 655 responses
  • 57.3% - Normal
  • 26.4% - Overweight
  • 16.3% - Underweight
Do you currently see a therapist or psychologist?
  • 656 responses
  • 33.5% - Yes
  • 66.5% - No
Do you take medication for any mental illness?
  • 656 responses
  • 40.4% - Yes
  • 59.6% - No
Does anyone close to you (disregarding any professional you might be seeing) [know you?] are struggling with mental illness or feelings like these?
  • 653 responses
  • 74.1% - Yes
  • 25.9% - No
Have you had someone close to you end their lives via suicide?
  • 658 responses
  • 24.6% - Yes
  • 75.4% - No
Have you ever self-harmed (e.g. cutting, punching oneself, etc)
  • 655 responses
  • 62.9% - Yes
  • 37.1% - No
Have you ever called a suicide hotline?
  • 657 responses
  • 32.1% - Yes
  • 67.9% - No
If you have ever called a suicide hotline, what was the result?
  • 321 responses
  • 5.00% - Positive
  • 57.6% - Neutral
  • 37.4% - Negative
[Around 210 users (32.1% * 657) answered yes to calling a hotline, yet 321 answered the question about hotline results. I'm not sure why there's such a large difference in those numbers.]

Do you believe there are cases where euthanasia should be allowed?
  • 657 responses
  • 99.2% - Yes
  • 0.80% - No
Do you believe the choice of suicide can be made 100% rationally?
  • 653 responses
  • 89% - Yes
  • 11% - No
Do you believe suicidal people are given proper help by our society?
  • 651 responses
  • 4.30% - Yes
  • 95.7% - No
Have you ever considered suicide in a serious manner?
  • 658 responses
  • 97.1% - Yes
  • 2.90% - No
What social class do you belong to?
  • 649 responses
  • 30.2% - Lower class
  • 63.9% - Middle class
  • 5.90% - Upper class
Do you have friends?
  • 655 responses
  • 60% - Yes
  • 40% - No
Are you addicted to any drug? (e.g. alcohol, pills, marijuana, hard drugs)
  • 654 responses
  • 18.3% - Yes
  • 81.7% - No
Do you live with your parents?
  • 654 responses
  • 50.6% - Yes
  • 49.4% - No
Are you happy?
  • 651 responses
  • 6.0% - Yes
  • 94% - No
Have you ever had a romantic relationship?
  • 653 responses
  • 67.8% - Yes
  • 32.2% - No
Are you currently in a romantic relationship?
  • 650 responses
  • 21.7% - Yes
  • 78.3% - No
Do you have children?
  • 652 responses
  • 10.9% - Yes
  • 89.1% - No
Are you optimistic about your future?
  • 648 responses
  • 9.70% - Yes
  • 90.3% - No
Does the Sanctioned Suicide forum impact your life in a positive way?
  • 637 responses
  • 90.6% - Yes
  • 9.40% - No
Which of the following do you regularly use?
  • 426 responses
  • 196 (46.0%) - Alcohol
  • 180 (42.3%) - Cigarettes
  • 227 (53.3%) - Antidepressants
  • 142 (33.3%) - Marijuana
  • 43 (10.1%) - Hard drugs
Please check any of the following that significantly impact you feeling suicidal:
  • 654 responses
  • 488 (74.6%) - Mental Illness
  • 311 (47.6%) - Financial Situation
  • 306 (46.8%) - Relationship Issues
  • 301 (46.0%) - Family Issues
  • 264 (40.4%) - Living Conditions
  • 223 (34.1%) - Work Situation
  • 217 (33.2%) - Physical Problems
  • 122 (18.7%) - Loss of Loved Ones
  • 113 (17.3%) - Addiction
  • 93 (14.2%) - Sexual Abuse

L

LittleJem

Veteran
Jul 3, 2019
This will lead pro-lifers to believe we're all irrational and therefore should be saved. Pro-lifers and psychiatry don't want to accept that people with mental illness can make rational choices, too.

People with mental illness can 100 per cent make rational choices.....I spend my time telling peopel I have wanted to die for over 20 years, and it is a rational and longed for decision to end my suffering. It is one of the myths I work to counteract.

I must make that website re assisted dying/suicide. I have been meaning to for a while. I don't know how to keep it on the right side of the law, while busting all these stupid myths about suicide that say that grown adults can't choose to end their own lives. It pisses me off.

MeltingHeart

MeltingHeart

Illuminated
Sep 10, 2019
This will lead pro-lifers to believe we're all irrational and therefore should be saved. Pro-lifers and psychiatry don't want to accept that people with mental illness can make rational choices, too.
Exactly!! also u can be a broken person in life (for whatever reason) & lost all hope without that necessarily being indicative of an actual mental illness. you can be crazy sad-without being 'crazy' (not saying mental bad health=crazy btw, just using the term here to make a point)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)