[Discussion] Post an unpopular opinion you have here

• Welcome to Sanctioned Suicide, a pro-choice forum for the discussion of mental illness, suicide, and the moral implications of the act itself. This is not a pro-suicide site. We do not encourage or aid suicide, and the information offered is for educational purposes only. Read our rules and FAQ for more information. We also offer a recovery subforum if you wish to get support.

You can close this box by clicking the top right "X".

Oyoy

Oyoy

Smoking section
Feb 2, 2020
Limousine
Grade school should be.martial arts with skateboarding and teach about dental hygiene. Everyone would naturally learn about physics. Children would have higher self esteem and stronger boundaries. Dental hygene is a crucial life skill that determins quality of life. School iife would actually be fun and when your happy learning is not a chore which leads to more curiosity.

L

lotus11

Veteran
May 18, 2019
1. Spending time with your family is one of the least fun activities ever
2. Eggs are gross
3. Christmas sucks
4. You can not eat for long periods of time and its actually really good for you, or at the least certainly, won't do you any harm
5. humans should probably take drugs

Grey-zone

Grey-zone

Veteran
Feb 2, 2019
IQ could be just as much a phenotypical trait of different races as dick size or bone density. It is only PC that prevents one from stating the obvious.
That is hella unpopular. I've heard the argument, as propounded by Jensen (I think), and the Bell Curve book from the mid 90s that was a bestseller. Very controversial topic. I'm not wholly convinced, as there is that Flynn effect thing, and poverty and lack of opportunity are renowned for leveling the majority of humanity; just imagine what depression does to a person's IQ, then throw the person in a low-stimuli, low-opportunity and impoverished environment. The history of IQ tests is also a bit tied to eugenics, but the basic principles are sound (Stephen Hawking would almost certainly beat any plumber on a spatial or numerical test). In any case, the concept of distinct races does not generally hold up with current genomics, although it's convenient as a popular concept based on obvious physical differences in pigmentation and facial structure.

Reactions: Circles and nikos
a.n.kirillov

a.n.kirillov

velle non discitur
Nov 17, 2019
That is hella unpopular. I've heard the argument, as propounded by Jensen (I think), and the Bell Curve book from the mid 90s that was a bestseller. Very controversial topic. I'm not wholly convinced, as there is that Flynn effect thing, and poverty and lack of opportunity are renowned for leveling the majority of humanity; just imagine what depression does to a person's IQ, then throw the person in a low-stimuli, low-opportunity and impoverished environment. The history of IQ tests is also a bit tied to eugenics, but the basic principles are sound (Stephen Hawking would almost certainly beat any plumber on a spatial or numerical test). In any case, the concept of distinct races does not generally hold up with current genomics, although it's convenient as a popular concept based on obvious physical differences in pigmentation and facial structure.
You exemplify what cognitive dissonance does to people, which I don't blame you for. No one has a problem btw to admit that ashkenazi Jews have the highest IQs in the world, or that africans have thicker bones and longer limbs. It's just biology vs ideology and wishful thinking.

And what is the problem with eugenics? – that's another unpopular opinion for you right there.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Emily_Numb and Oyoy
maka

maka

iTaukei Mushroom
Apr 23, 2019
Hwasa's Thighs
Exactly! Fucking white euro colonizers made everything about "race" and based their whole society, their division of labor around it, when race hadn't even been a thing before that. Awful intolerable people. Male supremacists managed to make everything about gender so much that they've got people color-coding infants to ID them by their genitals, and made it so women couldn't even open a line of credit on their own in the U.S. until the 1970s - anyone who kills one of these fuckers is doing society a favor. And don't get me started about how every time I'm trying to have a chill relaxed day, my boss, my landlord, and the police are busy wielding undue power over the government, making everything political to try to control every corner of my life. Unironically bring back the guillotine.
I was thinking more of how us minorities, whether that be by race, sexuality, gender, etc. feel the need to highlight the fact that we are x minority all the damn time and rub it in the faces of other people then call them bigots when they don’t care, and how we can’t bring our own communities without tearing others down (ex. POC and women can’t empower our communities without bringing white people or men down). I’m very anti-sjw so I hate it when people bring politics into a conversation when I could absolutely care less, although many people may be different.

LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
Idk what this means. Oppressed for looking a certain way? So these beauty standards originated from one continent? I have never heard about it this way
Oppressed for looking a certain way is 100% a thing. You have to be living under a rock to miss that fact. Or hit your head on one as a child.

Although..I do believe beauty standards have a basis in nature and science outside of any made up societal standard. (As human beings, this is still not an excuse to fail at curbing it..or rather, how we treat people based on it. We are self aware creatures capable of modifying our behavior).

So ofcourse there is such a thing as objective beauty, just an unfortunate truth that ends in anyone missing the mark highly susceptible to suffering in more ways than one.
We shouldn’t be treating people who look a certain way better or worse than others, but we should also not lie or dismiss anyone’s correct assertion that they are less than attractive and wish to change to be more comfortable in their skin, as long as it’s what they want. It goes way beyond wanting to do better in the dating world that you mentioned in one of your own unpopular opinions.

So I guess here’s my own unpopular opinion in the same vein: Romantic/Sexual relationships should pale in comparison to friendships, family, and other platonic relationships. As the former is often birthed from far more vapid, superficial, and unjustly conditional motives and requirements. I feel like we are still stuck in the spousal worship of the Bible. (Which I think is an epic story, but nothing to base any beliefs on).

Reactions: Fragile
lostangel

lostangel

Arcanist
Mar 22, 2019
Ireland
Travelling is overrated.

I have travelled before and never realised why someone would want to pay thousands to travel to a different country for a period of time. Maybe because I'm introverted and I am shy by nature. People forget to talk about ''the waiting'' and the sun. It can become unbearable. I feel more exhausted after the holiday and feel I need at least 1 day after it to relax.

I feel travelling attracts people who have never travelled before or people who refuse to believe that you can fun in other ways. Or maybe that's how some people have fun. (Not attacking anyone in particular) I feel this is unpopular because nearly everyone I have talked to have said something along the lines of ''how do you not like travelling, you're just boring or you're spoiled''. It bothers me that some people can't accept that travelling is not for everyone and people like different things.

But I must note I have only travelled with family in the past when I was younger and not with friends. I believe that it could be more fun with friends.

not-2-b-the-answer

not-2-b-the-answer

Illuminated
Mar 23, 2018
Travelling is overrated.

I have travelled before and never realised why someone would want to pay thousands to travel to a different country for a period of time. Maybe because I'm introverted and I am shy by nature. People forget to talk about ''the waiting'' and the sun. It can become unbearable. I feel more exhausted after the holiday and feel I need at least 1 day after it to relax.

I feel travelling attracts people who have never travelled before or people who refuse to believe that you can fun in other ways. Or maybe that's how some people have fun. (Not attacking anyone in particular) I feel this is unpopular because nearly everyone I have talked to have said something along the lines of ''how do you not like travelling, you're just boring or you're spoiled''. It bothers me that some people can't accept that travelling is not for everyone and people like different things.

But I must note I have only travelled with family in the past when I was younger and not with friends. I believe that it could be more fun with friends.
VERY OVERRATED !!!
Not that I can afford to travel anyway. I don't want to stand out in the hot sun waiting to get on rides at Disney. Also the screaming kids. :ohhhh:
Even something like the Pyramids … just too hot. :aw: I can see them on my laptop in the A.C. :wink:
I am also introverted and really don't like human contact or as little as possible. I don't even really like being outdoors. I know everyone else thinks "You need to be outside and get some sun" No Thanks !!! :wink:

Oyoy

Oyoy

Smoking section
Feb 2, 2020
Limousine
From my experience when I lived in a tourist town is that locals resent the tourist. Tourist often are assholes because it's not there town and tourists are high maintenance. I saw a shirt on a local that said 'nazis were tourists too'.

Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
From my experience when I lived in a tourist town is that locals resent the tourist. Tourist often are assholes because it's not there town and tourists are high maintenance. I saw a shirt on a local that said 'nazis were tourists too'.
exactly, I've lived all my life on different areas that are tourist hotspots and the locals always have the same mentality. to them tourists are dumb gringos that will buy anything you sell them even if it's garbage, or annoying entitled money bags with legs that you have to treat like children if you want to get paid.

M

MissKatrina

Wise
Apr 6, 2020
- Americans need to quit it with the different units of measurements, different date style and using brand names over generic. It makes sense for some stuff but it does not work well on an international basis.

- I believe copyright should be followed. Acceptable to steal if you’re broke, but if it’s a reasonable price (not college textbooks) and you can afford it, then there’s no reason why you shouldn’t pay for items instead of piracy. A lot of people’s skill and time has gone into the production of each masterpiece. They deserve to get the financial credit from it, unless the creator doesn’t want it.

- Giving money to the homeless. Sure they may be pretending but I’m still better off than them.

S

Saroshi

Sep 6, 2019
I think people can do whatever they want in the realm of fantasy and fiction, provided no real world people are directly affected in the production or use. Someone was telling me videogames and violent media and stories can be fine to make for yourself to vent, but shouldn't be able to be shared because it's negative. I don't like the idea of a squeaky clean buttercuppy media landscape when life is rougher than that.