New River Gorge Bridge catwalk

• Welcome to Sanctioned Suicide, a pro-choice forum for the discussion of mental illness, suicide, and the moral implications of the act itself. This is not a pro-suicide site. We do not encourage or aid suicide, and the information offered is for educational purposes only. Read our rules and FAQ for more information. We also offer a recovery subforum if you wish to get support.

You can close this box by clicking the top right "X".

V

Vault of Memories

A temporary being in a temporary world
Mar 24, 2020
Does anyone know enough about this bridge to know how to secretly access to catwalk? It wouldn’t be such a big deal to do it from the top of the bridge if it had a pedestrian pathway in my opinion.

V

Vault of Memories

Mar 24, 2020
Yes. A few hours out of my way, but I believe the 3rd largest bridge in the US.

LMLN

LMLN

Wizard
Aug 10, 2019
Eeeeekkkk! I could not do it! Someone would have to throw me over. I am a chicken.

Reactions: mpnf
V

Vault of Memories

Mar 24, 2020
I’d have to do it in a single motion, without any stopping or hesitation. Especially since there would be cars going by continuously (unless I did this at night). Which is why I wanted to sneak onto the catwalk, but I’m afraid of being caught by the park rangers. It’s also a 5+ hour drive out of my way, which isn’t very convenient. It’s odd, but something about there being water below makes it more comforting to me than just jumping off a building.

LMLN

LMLN

Wizard
Aug 10, 2019
I’d have to do it in a single motion, without any stopping or hesitation. Especially since there would be cars going by continuously (unless I did this at night). Which is why I wanted to sneak onto the catwalk, but I’m afraid of being caught by the park rangers. It’s also a 5+ hour drive out of my way, which isn’t very convenient. It’s odd, but something about there being water below makes it more comforting to me than just jumping off a building.
You are brave to jump. I hope you find peace whatever you decide. :heart:

A

AcornUnderground

Veteran
Feb 28, 2020
It is not as busy of a bridge as you would think, especially out of fall season.

JuneIsTooBright

JuneIsTooBright

Why don't they just drive to a bridge?
Feb 25, 2020
I tried to jump but got scared and got back in my car when flashing lights started approaching and sped away. I've been thinking it may be extra deserted during this covid lock down. It's a six hour drive for me and I'm down to meet up

No clue about the catwalk. I climbed over the edge and tried to find it, no luck, then couldn't get myself to just drop before I saw the lights.

• Wow
Reactions: taylor321
V

Vault of Memories

Mar 24, 2020
I tried to jump but got scared and got back in my car when flashing lights started approaching and sped away. I've been thinking it may be extra deserted during this covid lock down. It's a six hour drive for me and I'm down to meet up

No clue about the catwalk. I climbed over the edge and tried to find it, no luck, then couldn't get myself to just drop before I saw the lights.
Yeah I’d be down, it’s just it’s a 5.5 hour drive for me too and I’m kind of leaning towards the SN method. I really just don’t want any chance of surviving and I know that bridge pretty much eliminates that.

ManWithNoName

ManWithNoName

Elementalist
Feb 3, 2019
Don't personally know anything about it, but looking from Google...holy shit that is one tallass bridge!

But is it still high enough? My biggest concern is that it would be just high enough to injury you to a quadriplegic, but you might survive—fate worse than death.

V

Vault of Memories

Mar 24, 2020
But is it still high enough? My biggest concern is that it would be just high enough to injury you to a quadriplegic, but you might survive—fate worse than death.
As far as I know no one that’s jumped has survived. It’s the third tallest bridge in the US.

JuneIsTooBright

JuneIsTooBright

Why don't they just drive to a bridge?
Feb 25, 2020
Over 150 ft over land, 250 over water. Those are the going numbers I've found for getting death closest to 100%. It's higher than golden gate. Sure, freak things happen and people live, but rarely. I just can't find the damn catwalk.