Welcome to Sanctioned Suicide!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Discussion Multiplayer Game Anxiety

atari

atari

The Very Best
Does anyone have this issue with video games where they can’t play online anymore?

I get so much anxiety coming into contact with others online now.

I used to play A LOT of Rainbow Six Siege and if you’re not familiar, it’s a “community” (mockery of the term) of trolls, toxic as fuck, racist, prejudice, cheater, hacker, and script kiddies playerbase. Yes, you may occasionally meet nice people, but they are mixed in with the silent normies and vocal toxics.

Over time, I gradually played less and less because I couldn’t handle my fun time being worse than going to work. It wasn’t relaxing and it just made my stress higher than it already is.

This started to travel into other games where I still felt the anxiety of past toxic communities in various games, where I simply no longer speak to anyone and altogether just don’t play online unless it’s an mmo where you can sorta tune everyone out and do your own thing.

Single player games are great, but being an extrovert...means I am feeling anxiety in the opposite direction.

Because of some issues with “friends” in the past, grouping up doesn’t work well for me and tends to fall apart.

So my question for everyone is: do you feel this way? The desire to interact and engage with others but distraught by the amount of negatives it can bring especially in online games? What do you do? Do you avoid playing online or tough it out?

I’m curious as to everyone’s thoughts and if anyone has any great tips to work through anxiety in online gaming.

miguel6565

miguel6565

-
I used to have a group of friends that played r6 and yea the comunity is toxic as fuck,and yea i have times were i cannot talk whit my friends online because i get anxious,now i talk whit them everyday and im better but i know soon i wont play anymore

TW She/Her
I completely relate @atari. I can't simply play on vocal. Though there are online game you can be on your own and just play with other gamers without talking to them or only with a few prepared replicas.
I really enjoy Destiny 2 for that. I never speak to anybody but I still do high-level activity. And nobody uses the chat. The competitive guys go on voice channel and I don't care about them.
And if I may, I play Destiny 2 with one of my Tinder's match and her girlfriend. We're all very anxious socially. If you want to join us, we're not very talkative and very open minded (two trans'woman and a lesbian)
I also play Overwatch with another friend. She's an autist like me we never go vocal. She's really good. I'm a noob (though I'm not a noob on Destony).

Last edited:
atari

atari

The Very Best
How do you get better at sticking with friends @miguel6565 ?

I’ve tried Destiny 2...not really my kinda game. Plus I enjoy the competitiveness when it works. I want to and enjoy talking with others but the risk/reward of a negative experience is too high and too likely. Is this my fault or what am I supposed to do so I can keep playing the games I love?

TW She/Her

I’ve tried Destiny 2...not really my kinda game. Plus I enjoy the competitiveness when it works. I want to and enjoy talking with others but the risk/reward of a negative experience is too high and too likely. Is this my fault or what am I supposed to do so I can keep playing the games I love?
Sorry I'm already saturated, can't start a new one. Overwatch is much more competitive. I'm a beginner, we can progress together. I play Rocket League with yet another Tinder Match too.
Actually I meet all my friends on Tinder or SS
I actually put a thread like this two or three weeks ago.
I had not that much success lel : https://sanctionedsuicide.com/threa...rs-for-overwatch-destiny-2-or-warframe.46120/
[there is no reply lol, I must have wrote it in a non apealing way.]
Plus I enjoy the competitiveness when it works. I want to and enjoy talking with others but the risk/reward of a negative experience is too high and too likely. Is this my fault or what am I supposed to do so I can keep playing the games I love?
Really I think should find people you like and stick with them cauz all online games are full of filth and rage...

Last edited:
miguel6565

miguel6565

-

i follow some game communities and there you find nice people to talk and play whit

isnt your fault is the fault of the people that are toxic and dont let you play games you love!

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

"So if you love me let me go" -snuff
Not online but I can get that. My family and I were playing new super Mario bros and my stepdad told me to stay in the bubble :( but the people I play games with now know this so they take their time with me and I'm feeling better about it

atari

atari

The Very Best
My family and I were playing new super Mario bros and my stepdad told me to stay in the bubble :(
I’m glad you mentioned this because growing up, my parents were very strict on video games. “We don’t want you to miss your life,” were the frequent sayings. It’s instilled in me now isn’t it? As it’s a part of me to believe I am “missing my life” because I am doing a solitary activity. That said, I do live in total isolation and feel completely physically alone.

but the people I play games with now know this so they take their time with me and I'm feeling better about it
How did you eventually find people who accepted you? Did you talk with them about it at some point? Or did they just accept and make you comfortable anyway ?

miguel6565

miguel6565

-
I’m glad you mentioned this because growing up, my parents were very strict on video games. “We don’t want you to miss your life,” were the frequent sayings. It’s instilled in me now isn’t it? As it’s a part of me to believe I am “missing my life” because I am doing a solitary activity. That said, I do live in total isolation and feel completely physically alone.

How did you eventually find people who accepted you? Did you talk with them about it at some point? Or did they just accept and make you comfortable anyway ?
i played whit a lot of people and some were rude and some were nice to me,they dont know anything about me except that i am depressed,i just made good friendship they are the only real people i talk to and the onlyones tahts make me forget im suicidal/depressed
yo have to try people and you will likely find someone similar to you and play everyday etc...

atari

atari

The Very Best
i played whit a lot of people and some were rude and some were nice to me,they dont know anything about me except that i am depressed,i just made good friendship they are the only real people i talk to and the onlyones tahts make me forget im suicidal/depressed
yo have to try people and you will likely find someone similar to you and play everyday etc...
You’re right about trying. I am just scared because most people I’ve told I am depressed have treated me very poorly from mocking me, giving me a hard time, to calling the police on me.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

"So if you love me let me go" -snuff
They are my true friends. The ones that have been helping me with all the abuse I went through. So they know how video games were for me. I've actually gotten a lot better at them after years of joking about how bad I was lol. They are still better at them then me though

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
I may have had some...temper tantrums trying to get Lucina into Elite Smash. I still haven’t. :ahhha:

Smash Ultimate online is so bad and it’s a shame they can’t do anything significant about it because it works much better in Japan and, in the US, the blame is mostly on ISPs and our overall infrastructure being outdated by those ISP companies. I even have an Ethernet adapter but I can’t get it to connect from my router all the way in my room :/

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Viro_Major Bomberman - online multiplayer oldie but goodie Offtopic 0
W I never have luck finding normal game friends Offtopic 7
L Games Reverse question game Offtopic 395