Welcome to Sanctioned Suicide!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Journaling to curb anxiety

AvaAdore

AvaAdore

When will it be?
I keep a notebook to write down the things that are causing me anxiety. It's almost like a to do list. Some of these things have been going on for months. I intend to get to them eventually. One example is figuring out how my 401k account works now that I'm no longer employed with the company that setup that account. I have a new employer and they do their 401k contributions with a different investment company. I need to figure out how to combine the accounts, I think it's called a rollover.
Sigh, it seems like these kinds of things are important but they are kind of boring and time consuming.

overcomingfear

overcomingfear

Veteran
The account can wait if it's not urgent. Maybe it's not a good idea to write anxieties down if it turns into a to do list? Never been a fan of writing down anything, keep it in your head. Heard stories of stolen diaries and i don't want that, although my family would never do that

AvaAdore

AvaAdore

When will it be?
The account can wait if it's not urgent. Maybe it's not a good idea to write anxieties down if it turns into a to do list? Never been a fan of writing down anything, keep it in your head. Heard stories of stolen diaries and i don't want that, although my family would never do that
I thought if I write it down I wouldnt have to keep it in my head so maybe I wouldnt have to spend extra energy on trying to remember it all. I appreciate your view on this though.

T

timf

Veteran
The process of writing allows you to form a concept in your mind and organize it on paper. This alone has value in that it helps you see yourself in control. Sometimes anxiety can form from feeling a lack of control. Writing can be a way to push back against anxiety.

Stick

Stick

Veteran
I keep a notebook to write down the things that are causing me anxiety. It's almost like a to do list. Some of these things have been going on for months. I intend to get to them eventually. One example is figuring out how my 401k account works now that I'm no longer employed with the company that setup that account. I have a new employer and they do their 401k contributions with a different investment company. I need to figure out how to combine the accounts, I think it's called a rollover.
Sigh, it seems like these kinds of things are important but they are kind of boring and time consuming.
I started doing that a while ago, and it helped me a lot because I was able to kinda curb the cycle of anxiety by knowing that I've already given the situation as much thought as I can, while also having visual proof of that thought.

AvaAdore

AvaAdore

When will it be?
Once I eventually deal with these things that are concerning me I intend to go back and appreciate my accomplishments.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Discussion Does Journaling Help YOU? Recovery 39
shy Story Seeking help feat. anxiety Recovery 3
Life_and_Death Help Anxiety attack remedy Recovery 7