Welcome to Sanctioned Suicide!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

is saltpetre different to SN?

TowerUpright

TowerUpright

Arcanist
One is Potassium Nitrate and one is Sodium Nitrite.

W

Walilamdzi

One is Potassium Nitrate and one is Sodium Nitrite.
Ahh okay, does PN mention saltpetre as an alternative to SN in lethal inorganic salts talk? Or has it been dismissed by the community here?

TowerUpright

TowerUpright

Arcanist
High purity Potassium Nitrate would work... But only if you mixed it with fuel oil, drank the mixture right away, then swallow a lit firecracker....

In other words, no. It is not anywhere near a substitute. And, it apparently has anti-aphrodisiac properties.

ReallySillyOtter

ReallySillyOtter

Will commit suicide or die tryin’.
Does PN mention saltpetre as an alternative to SN in lethal inorganic salts talk? Or has it been dismissed by the community here?
Short answer: no.

Detailed answer: by "PN" I assume you mean Potassium Nitrate. I have not seen that mentioned in either Peaceful Pill Handbook or this site (didn't search, it might be in an obscure thread).

There are three inorganic salts used to CTB:
  • Cyanide (very effective, very hard to get).
  • Sodium Azide (slightly easier to get but dangerous)
  • Sodium Nitrite (generally agreed as the best compromise of availability, effectiveness and peacefulness. You'll find a wealth of information in the resources section. Note this is Sodium Nitrite, NOT Sodium NitrAte)

ReallySillyOtter

ReallySillyOtter

Will commit suicide or die tryin’.
PN is Phillip Nietsche. Or however it’s spelled
My mistake, thanks for the correction. I made an erroneous assumption on what PN meant and figured @Walilamdzi just phrased the question oddly.

But yes, I’ve listen to a few of Philip Nitschke’s podcasts and don’t recall him mentioning potassium nitrate / saltpetre. Searching this site for same also comes up empty.

Last edited:
Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Yes it's a completely different substance.

DyingAlf

DyingAlf

Wise
I don’t know how reliable/trustworthy Suicide wiki is but on their SN page they say
if nitrite salts, such as sodium nitrite or potassium nitrite, become unavailable, you can use nitrate salts, such as sodium nitrate or potassium nitrate (referred to as saltpeter or saltpetre), because nitrate reduces to nitrite and nitric oxide in vivo.