How does it feel to have a good therapeut?

• Welcome to Sanctioned Suicide, a pro-choice forum for the discussion of mental illness, suicide, and the moral implications of the act itself. This is not a pro-suicide site. We do not encourage or aid suicide, and the information offered is for educational purposes only. Read our rules and FAQ for more information. We also offer a recovery subforum if you wish to get support.

You can close this box by clicking the top right "X".

Aliali1992

Aliali1992

We only live once..i hope
Jan 3, 2020
I've had 3 therapeuts and all of them sucked...they just don't get me or it gets into endless arguing and they just can't convince me with their ideas...the current one when i say something about suicidal ideation her answer is something like you should go and do sport or change your daily routine..she just can't grasp that i don't have energy to do anything like this...are all therapeuts like this? What does it feel like to have a good therapeut if you ever had one?

P

Pallf

I'm tired
May 27, 2018
I've had good therapists. For me, a good therapist spends more time listening to their clients and less time trying to convince them on what to do. Therapy shouldn't be endless arguing and therapists need to listen thoughtfully to their clients. If you don't have the energy to do sport, the therapist needs to keep that in mind and work with you so you two can come up with solutions together.

tiredofsuffering

tiredofsuffering

Veteran
Apr 4, 2020
Feels good to know there's someone who really cares. Who just lets you be. She even tried to get my number during quarantine so we wouldn't lost contact, but I'm a shitty patient and never gave my number. I'm faking as much as I can so she won't tell my mom about my suicidal tendencies or put me in psych ward.

Reactions: _Minsk
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

I'm a BPD Barbie Girl living in a suicidal world
Dec 1, 2019
It's like night and day, huge difference. I am incredibly lucky to be able to tell mine anything without any judgement or harsh consequences. I feel like I have a say in decisions and medications. They're very accessible and very quick to respond to calls and even texts.

J

JoeFailure

Master
Apr 29, 2019
There are good therapists and obviously bad ones. Like people have mentioned in this thread, it makes a huge difference.

But it's also about expectations. They can't fix your life, but they can certainly help you. And I'm not saying that in a condescending way, some people just are in situations that are either impossible or incredibly hard to fix.

The best one I ever had, and for whatever reason this kind of helped me at the time...she would let me rant and go to all kinds of dark places about humanity, death, my negative view on God if there is one that's omnipotent, illusion of self...and she was like "Well, I can't say you're wrong about any of that...but then you might as well stick around in life and break some shit". I ended up moving for a job and because of the ridiculous laws around state licenses she couldn't keep me as a patient.

But yeah, I'd keep trying if you haven't found the right one.

T

TotallyIsolated

Veteran
Nov 25, 2019
Currently on my ~4th therapist and he's wonderful. He's a clinical physchologist and specializes in chronic depression. He's gentle and understanding and he works *with* my limitations rather than pushing me to do things I can't do. I've been seeing him for maybe 5 years now. He knows me really well and I trust him as close to completely as I'm able to! During the lockdown I miss him more than anyone else TBH!

He is a little more expensive that the other therapists I've seen, he's *super* flexible about money.

Last edited:
TacoBell

TacoBell

May 18, 2020
I think I have a good one, so here goes:
I look forward to their calls
I feel heard
I feel respected

I think that's all that matters, if you're arguing with them over how you feel then they ain't sh*t

Reactions: thebrinkimdriven