Has anyone with mental illness succeeded with Dignitas?

• Welcome to Sanctioned Suicide, a pro-choice forum for the discussion of mental illness, suicide, and the moral implications of the act itself. We do not encourage or aid suicide, the information offered is for educational purposes only. For more information read our FAQ.
    For immediate help, consider calling the Samaritan's hotline: (877) 870-4673. Be aware they may call emergency services if they believe you are at imminent risk of death. We also have a recovery subforum if you wish to get support.
    You can close this box by clicking the top right "X".
A

Abood95

Jul 1, 2019
For me, I can't find a forensic psychiatrist to make the assessment online in regarding my mental capacity for my decision of euthanasia.

AnnaJaspers

AnnaJaspers

-
Jul 2, 2019
There have been cases, but it's rare. Also, I think you would have to use their psychiatrists, not shop around "online" for one, unless I am misunderstanding you.

A

Abood95

Jul 1, 2019
There have been cases, but it's rare. Also, I think you would have to use their psychiatrists, not shop around "online" for one, unless I am misunderstanding you.
I've been informed that I should find one by myself.

AnnaJaspers

AnnaJaspers

-
Jul 2, 2019
I've been informed that I should find one by myself.
Informed by whom? Under Swiss Law your assisted suicide will require the assessment of Swiss Psychiatrists, not some random one you find.

A

Abood95

Jul 1, 2019
Informed by whom? Under Swiss Law your assisted suicide will require the assessment of Swiss Psychiatrists, not some random one you find.
This is from information letter they sent to me:

"How can I find a psychiatrist for the in-depth medical report?
- As mentioned earlier in this paper, the in-depth psychiatric assessment is best
done by an independent psychiatrist with a forensic/analytic approach. Such
independent psychiatrist is more likely to assess your case without prejudice.
- Research the internet and/or your local telephone directory by using key
words such as: medical expert, psychiatric expert, forensic psychiatrist or
psychiatric assessment.
- Visit your local public library or a bookstore. Look for professional literature
on the subject of forensic psychiatry and medical-psychiatric assessments and
copy the authors list. Or google published studies and look for the authors and
contributors."

AnnaJaspers

AnnaJaspers

-
Jul 2, 2019
This is from information letter they sent to me:

"How can I find a psychiatrist for the in-depth medical report?
- As mentioned earlier in this paper, the in-depth psychiatric assessment is best
done by an independent psychiatrist with a forensic/analytic approach. Such
independent psychiatrist is more likely to assess your case without prejudice.
- Research the internet and/or your local telephone directory by using key
words such as: medical expert, psychiatric expert, forensic psychiatrist or
psychiatric assessment.
- Visit your local public library or a bookstore. Look for professional literature
on the subject of forensic psychiatry and medical-psychiatric assessments and
copy the authors list. Or google published studies and look for the authors and
contributors."
Jesus, I'm sorry. That's horribly onerous. Sorry I can't be of more help, really wish I could.

BipolarExpat

BipolarExpat

Accomplished faker
May 30, 2019
It may be that the Swiss shrinks get final say whilst an independent gets the initial application moving(?)

L

LittleJem

Veteran
Jul 3, 2019
GHB looks peaceful as a method. Much cheaper than Dignitas. I also thought about Dignitas, but it doesn't look like they are really looking after those with mental illness. I saw one article where they were blasted for helping a man with depression ctb. The frankly stupid opinion given was that "depression is not serious and is treatable" which is total BS.