First therapy question

• Welcome to Sanctioned Suicide, a pro-choice forum for the discussion of mental illness, suicide, and the moral implications of the act itself. This is not a pro-suicide site. We do not encourage or aid suicide, and the information offered is for educational purposes only. Read our rules and FAQ for more information. We also offer a recovery subforum if you wish to get support.

You can close this box by clicking the top right "X".

NineLives

NineLives

Feb 16, 2020
Hey guys!
I have my first therapy apointment on 25th and I'm already stressed about it. I believe I might have social anxiety which is making things harder and is making me suicidal.
I know the first session is basicaly just getting to know each other. Do you have any tips?
I don't want to CTB at the moment (thanks god for the lock down- schools are closed). Is it wise to mention suicide? I'm really afraid it will come back again but at the same time don't want to risk being locked up.
Thanks for reading, I apreciate it.

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Pensively Prolific
Jan 11, 2020
Like any relationship, I think it would be a good idea to wait to introduce such an intimate topic to see if you find this person someone you feel comfortable with and trust. The therapist is there to serve your interests, s/he is not paying you but the other way around. Their focus should be on empowering you, not having power over you. If you don't feel like they have this kind of focus, there are plenty of other therapists.

Reactions: TacoBell
NineLives

NineLives

Feb 16, 2020
Like any relationship, I think it would be a good idea to wait to introduce such an intimate topic to see if you find this person someone you feel comfortable with and trust. The therapist is there to serve your interests, s/he is not paying you but the other way around. Their focus should be on empowering you, not having power over you. If you don't feel like they have this kind of focus, there are plenty of other therapists.
Thanks for your reply.
Think you're right. I'll wait and see how it goes.

Reactions: GoodPersonEffed
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

I'm a BPD Barbie Girl living in a suicidal world
Dec 1, 2019
Personally, my experience was to just be honest and open with them from the start. Transparency let's them see the full extent of the problem and allows them to fully help you. But everyone's experience is different. It's OK as well to ask for a second opinion if you dont feel comfortable with the current therapist.

Reactions: TacoBell