[Discussion] Could you be friends with someone who thought suicide was selfish?

• Welcome to Sanctioned Suicide, a pro-choice forum for the discussion of mental illness, suicide, and the moral implications of the act itself. This is not a pro-suicide site. We do not encourage or aid suicide, and the information offered is for educational purposes only. Read our rules and FAQ for more information.
    For immediate help, consider calling the Samaritan's hotline: (877) 870-4673. Be aware they may call emergency services if they believe you are at imminent risk of death. We also offer a recovery subforum if you wish to get support.
    You can close this box by clicking the top right "X".
freedommatrix

freedommatrix

Dec 19, 2019
I don't see how that can be a real friendship whatsoever. It's a lack of respect for the suicidal person. It's the same as a homophobe saying to their gay friends that "gays are f*gs and will go to hell".

E

Epsilon0

Veteran
Dec 28, 2019
I suspect the majority of the people in my life believe suicide is a deeply selfish act. About half of them probably believe you go to hell if you do it.

So, to answer your question: yes, I can be friends with them, and love them.

I could, however, not be able to have any sort of meaningful interaction with anyone who hates people based on race, sexuality, disability or religion. Suicide, imo, is very different and cannot be compared to these things.

SinisterKid

SinisterKid

Jun 1, 2019
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I respect the opinions of others, doesn't mean to say I agree with them. So why would I not be friends with someone who has a different opinion to my own?

freedommatrix

freedommatrix

Dec 19, 2019
I suspect the majority of the people in my life believe suicide is a deeply selfish act. About half of them probably believe you go to hell if you do it.

So, to answer your question: yes, I can be friends with them, and love them.

I could, however, not be able to have any sort of meaningful interaction with anyone who hates people based on race, sexuality, disability or religion. Suicide, imo, is very different and cannot be compared to these things.
Why do you suspect this?

E

Epsilon0

Veteran
Dec 28, 2019
Because this is the discourse we are brainwashed with from birth. And it’s no easy feat to question absolute truths” we are spoon-fed with all our lives.

BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

I'm a BPD Barbie Girl living in a suicidal world
Dec 1, 2019
Somewhere only we know
I could be friends with someone, but more than likely I don't think I would bring it up again and I for sure wouldn't tell them if/when I was feeling suicidal. Just because while opinions are our own and personal and we don't have to agree, I feel hearing that its selfish when you're feeling so low can push you further over the edge.

CynicalHopelessness

CynicalHopelessness

Tormented soul
Jan 9, 2020
Belarus
I could be acquaintances on good terms with somebody like this, but this viewpoint usually does not come alone. I would probably not be able to share my experiences with mental illness with somebody like this, and I would not consider her/him an actual friend, and it would also not satisfy my need for genuine connection even a bit.

Reactions: exhausted
Kuolema

Kuolema

Veteran
Jun 27, 2019
Selfishness isnt necessarily a bad thing. Dont believe me? How much did you give to charity last year?

Last edited:
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

NaN0² Priest
Oct 30, 2019
United States.
I think the majority of people in general are conditioned to frown upon suicide. We're all allowed our own viewpoints which is cool with me. As long as they aren't pushing their views on me I'm all good with it.

P

porfin1234

Veteran
Dec 26, 2019
I think it can definitely be a selfish act and I am here and am still seriously considering CBTing. May get backlash for that but oh well. I am not saying people don’t consider others when they go through with it, and everyone has different reasons for committing the act, but it definitely has a huge impact on others (I get depending on circumstance). Although I think some people who commit suicide sincerely believe they are a burden to others and are better off dead. It’s complicated for sure.
I know if I went through with it, it would be incredibly selfish and hurtful to others.
Although I believe they would move on except for my immediate family who would have a harder time.

People tend to be selfish in this society anyway. There are just a few people I’ve met who are truly selfless.

• Hug
Reactions: Brick In The Wall
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

NaN0² Priest
Oct 30, 2019
United States.
I think it can definitely be a selfish act and I am here and am still seriously considering CBTing. May get backlash for that but oh well. I am not saying people don’t consider others when they go through with it, and everyone has different reasons for committing the act, but it definitely has a huge impact on others (I get depending on circumstance). Although I think some people who commit suicide sincerely believe they are a burden to others and are better off dead. It’s complicated for sure.
I know if I went through with it, it would be incredibly selfish and hurtful to others.
Although I believe they would move on except for my immediate family who would have a harder time.

People tend to be selfish in this society anyway. There are just a few people I’ve met who are truly selfless.
If there's only ONE thing in life that you can be selfish about and have it be okay it's gota be this. Is it not selfish of others to try to force you to stay and suffer? Thanks for sharing how you feel about it. I think this topic is rather subjective and dependent on point of view.

Carina

Carina

Illuminated
Dec 22, 2019
US
I am friends with people who think it's a selfish act. One's my best friend. Granted he also said that he and his family also wouldn't think I'd go to hell either (his family is really religious--he isn't but 'spiritual'), they also would think I'd be at peace.
He also knows I'm suicidal. I make a point to mention it. I joke about it, in part to annoy him (we have that type of relationship). I know it won't change his mind, he knows he can't change mine).

At the same time, a lot I know that think it's selfish also understand how someone could. So it's like they're mixed on it.

ShadowChild

ShadowChild

Happiness is a warm gun
Jan 13, 2020
Liverpool
I don't see how that can be a real friendship whatsoever. It's a lack of respect for the suicidal person. It's the same as a homophobe saying to their gay friends that "gays are f*gs and will go to hell".
I am friends with such a person, but he just needs educating. Side note he is gay and I’d never use that example to prove a point to him xD

OneBigBlur

OneBigBlur

Wise
Nov 30, 2019
Nope, it would be a superficial relationship at best. I don't think I could ever be friends with a normal person because of their lack of understanding and naive optimism.

Reactions: ShadowChild
ShadowChild

ShadowChild

Happiness is a warm gun
Jan 13, 2020
Liverpool
I am friends with people who think it's a selfish act. One's my best friend. Granted he also said that he and his family also wouldn't think I'd go to hell either (his family is really religious--he isn't but 'spiritual'), they also would think I'd be at peace.
He also knows I'm suicidal. I make a point to mention it. I joke about it, in part to annoy him (we have that type of relationship). I know it won't change his mind, he knows he can't change mine).

At the same time, a lot I know that think it's selfish also understand how someone could. So it's like they're mixed on it.
I made a point of saying to them, if you’re being tortured but you can end the torture by ctb. Is it still selfish? Not all torture is physical pain. He was like, yeah that’s not the same thing so I said how do you f*cking know you if you haven’t experienced either of those things. You’re quick to judge but you’re not in a position to have your deluded opinion in the matter so stfu and be supportive, you say “you should talk to me it might help” but I talk to you and you call me selfish, F**k you..-_-

Reactions: OneBigBlur
SuiSqueeze92

SuiSqueeze92

Self Saboteur
Jan 15, 2020
I could probably because I used to kind of think like that about my father and constantly ask myself “what I did wrong?” as a child, but with everything that I’ve been through now and understand about the world, I’m on the other side now to possibly join my father. They just don’t know true pain yet.