Burn scars - lifelong?

• Welcome to Sanctioned Suicide, a pro-choice forum for the discussion of mental illness, suicide, and the moral implications of the act itself. We do not encourage or aid suicide, the information offered is for educational purposes only. For more information read our FAQ.
    For immediate help, consider calling the Samaritan's hotline: (877) 870-4673. Be aware they may call emergency services if they believe you are at imminent risk of death. We also have a recovery subforum if you wish to get support.
    You can close this box by clicking the top right "X".
heartless_95

heartless_95

In the bleak midwinter ..
Sep 3, 2019
Hi loves, I'm in that in-between weird phase where I want to stay alive (mostly for the sake of my family to move here since I am a first generation immigrant) and ctb. I haven't seen my family in almost 6 years. What's the best way to hide my self harm scars? I have second degree burns riddling all along my left side forearm from an alcoholic phase when I was 22-23. Wondering if they are for life. It has been a year and they have turned white but still very visible. If they are for life please let me know how I can hide my shame from my loved ones when/if I finally come visit them. Love and peace to you all!
Side note: I am seeing them this year provided I don't pass before then and my wardrobe consists of mostly t-shirts... If anyone has ideas for hiding these scars, would be much appreciated :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Quitter
Quitter

Quitter

Sep 4, 2019
I can't even guess if your scars are lifelong or not because people heal so individually. But I've heard of and seen many people with history of self harm, who have tattooed over their scars. It's very common, really. If your finances and surrounding culture (some places have really old fashioned views) could allow that, it could be a great way to conceal the scars while expressing yourself via art :)

Long sleeve shirts are another option, (obviously)

Edit to add: honestly, do you really even need to hide the scar, can't you just say it was an accident? Idk

Last edited:
Reactions: heartless_95
Futility

Futility

Veteran
Aug 14, 2019
Oregon
It all depends on your body and also the scars themselves, I had a minor traffic accident and the muffler of the vehicle touched my leg just long enough to make me smell like oven baked pork. I looked like I had been branded back then.

It's been about 20 years and I see a faint shadow from it, people think it's simply a faint but large birthmark at this point.

I agree with getting a tattoo, I have so many scars I went to a tattoo artist to have it looked at, you want to make sure they know what they're doing and have a good history of similar cases, just because someone's a good artist, doesn't mean they have any scar experience.
Don't go for cheap, money has no meaning when it's your body, keep saving up until you can get the best of the best.
I mean, my friend got a 15 dollar deal last Halloween, a stupid little blacked out tea kettle on her ankle that she immediately regretted :P

E

eve2004

Dead inside
Aug 17, 2019
Northern Latitude
I am terrible in the kitchen, and while high on something (can’t remember what), I baked a batch of 12 cookies (they were good too)... Anyway, I ended up with a burn scar on my arm which I very vaguely remember getting. Even when I’m fully paying attention I get burns accidentally. I’m clumsy. You could just say you were in a baking phase and was constantly using the oven.

I also have a few other burn scars and they are less prominent as time goes by. For now, I would just tell your family about your previous « baking » phase and that you’re done with it (cause they might want you to make them something haha).

heartless_95

heartless_95

In the bleak midwinter ..
Sep 3, 2019
Thanks so much guys for the feedback. Unfortunately my scars are too deliberate to pass them off as an accident. The tattoo and silicone pad ideas sound cool though, will look into those

ThriveOrDie

ThriveOrDie

We are already in hell
Jul 11, 2019
USA, Arizona
Thanks so much guys for the feedback. Unfortunately my scars are too deliberate to pass them off as an accident. The tattoo and silicone pad ideas sound cool though, will look into those
An esthetician could probably help if you have the money. They can use lasers to fade the scar. I think it's possible to heal the scars but it would take a long time. There are creams and ointments that would help fade them but you have to use them consistently. If it was me I would put a scar ointment mixed with raw honey on them and bandage it up every night.

Quitter

Quitter

Sep 4, 2019
An esthetician could probably help if you have the money. They can use lasers to fade the scar. I think it's possible to heal the scars but it would take a long time. There are creams and ointments that would help fade them but you have to use them consistently. If it was me I would put a scar ointment mixed with raw honey on them and bandage it up every night.
This reminded me that indeed stuff like coconut oil supposedly helps with scars, or at least stretch marks, but those are pretty small. And maybe it was more as prevention, or on fresh scars.

azucaramargo

azucaramargo

Elementalist
Sep 16, 2018
USA
Someone once recommended lavender oil to me for relieving the redness of burn scars. I burnt my calf once pretty badly on that exposed, hot pipe that is low on motorcycles? I don't know what it's called. But, I guess that's why one is supposed to wear long pants (i.e., trousers) when riding on motorcycles. Anyway, it was a pretty serious burn scar that lasted for years and was followed by a dermatologist. The lavender oil surprisingly really got rid of the red in the final stages, and now the scar is gone. @ThriveOrDie is right though; consistency is key.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThriveOrDie
ThriveOrDie

ThriveOrDie

We are already in hell
Jul 11, 2019
USA, Arizona
Lavender is awesome for burns. I burned my finger really bad one time. I put lavender on it 3 times before I went to bed and it hurt like hell (lavender usually does not hurt when you put it on a wound) but there was no blister or pain the next day. It was more like a callous. I should try it on my face scars though. I have scars from a really bad eczema outbreak that got infected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)